||whole or diced tomatoes
|225 g (8 oz)
|125 g (0.25 lb)
Should make 3–4 medium pizzas.
Roberta’s Pizza Dough is excellent and easy. Naturally Leavened Dough is more difficult but even better.
- Set your oven to as hot as it goes. It’s impossible to set it too hot—wood fired pizza ovens can hit 500°c (1000°f) and cook a pizza in a couple minutes.
- “For authentic Roberta’s pizza sauce, simply whiz together some drained canned tomatoes with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt.”
- Place one dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it. Remember which is the top and bottom and use more flour for the bottom.
- Form the crust by gently pushing into the dough about 2cm from the edge.
- Pick it up and gently pass the dough back and forward between your hands, turning it as you go. Gravity should stretch it out.
- Place it on a pizza peel or chopping board dusted with flour. Slide it around slightly to make sure there aren’t any sticky points.
- Cover the dough with tomato sauce then add any other toppings.
- A quick motion should let you slide the peel or board out from under the pizza and onto a pizza stone/steel.
- Bake for about 5–10 minutes—until it’s well cooked and the edges are beginning to char.